Thursday, November 21, 2013

Where Were You?



November 22, 1963. Where were you?


I was at Reading Terminal with Millicent DeHaven, waiting for a train back to Willow Grove. We had just finished a day at school and were anxious to get home. We started hearing bits and pieces of news spread around the Terminal. On the train, our conductor would get off at each station to find out what was happening in Dallas. He would then get back on the train and update the passengers.

It was so unheard of – so outrageous – that it was hard to believe. Surely someone wouldn't kill the President. But when we got off at Willow Grove and got into Millicent's car, the truth hit us. Instead of WIBG on the radio, all we heard was somber music.

I immediately turned on the TV when I got in the house. No soap operas, no Bandstand. Just news about the shooting. I went to a 21st birthday party for a friend that night. No one wanted to even attempt to have fun – it was a very depressing night. In fact, the birthday boy left his own party that evening to drive to Washington, DC to stand in line for hours to view President Kennedy's body.

I, like most everyone else, stayed glued to the TV for the rest of the weekend. Sunday morning, we all saw, live, Jack Ruby shoot and kill Lee Harvey Oswald. Another image that has been burned into my memory.  Innocence lost.

Where were you? What do you remember?

7 comments:

  1. I was working at 3rd & Vine in Phila. The supervisor cane in with the news. Plant immediately closed.. As I was walking to Reading Terminal it was very quit. Hushed conversations, newspapers sold out. Was a long quiet train ride to Willow Grove. Still feel a little sadness on that day
    Jim McGhee 11/21/2013

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was in art class at Colby Jr. College in New London, NH. When I walked back to my dorm and was told by a girl that JFK had been shot. I didn't believe her, cuz she was always making things up. Then I went downstairs to watch TV and it was announced that he had died. How shocking the entire thing was! Robin Wright Stewart

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was on my way home from school (the same school as Lynne) and had stopped at a coffee shop on my way to Reading Terminal to catch the train to Willow Grove. It was my 18th birthday! People on the street were talking about the news, and of course, the train ride home was full of it. I think we still had a subdued birthday with the tv on in the background. Every birthday I have had for 50 years I remember that tragic day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was posted by Nancy Telmosse Lyons - but she put it under the wrong post! Copied it here.

    Oh how I remember that day, I was home ironing clothes for my mother, who was in Einestine Hospital since she had just had a stroke in June. I kept yelling at the TV no,no,no. I adored president Kennedy and felt like I lost a member of my family, after all I did see him when he came to Willow Grove. The sad music on the radio just broke my heart made me cry even more. What a horribly sad time for our country and of course so unreal, we lived in the 20th century who would assinate our president! Thank you,Lynne for posting this, we all need to remember, so hard to believe that 50 years have passed, like oudr reunion seems like only yesterday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I was living in Feasterville and babysat in exchange for rent. I had gone to the store - WT Grant (how long ago was that!!) to get the kids some fish for their new aquarium. I came home to find the kids sent next door and the whole huge Italian Catholic family kneeling in front of the TV saying the Rosary. The following day, I rode with my employers son to Washington, DC. We stood in line for nearly two days and rotunda closed before we could get in. Very sad time and very strong memories.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was going to Peirce Junior College on Pine and Broad and when walking back to the Reading Terminal, I heard what had happened. It is burned in my mind. I remember when JFK visited Willow Grove when compaigning. I was in color guard and heard him speak. Two other memories I will not forget -- Princess Diana car crash and burning of the Twin Towers in NYC. We could see the fire and smoke from Montclair and everyone had a story to tell or knew someone in the buildings when they were struck. Tragic memories!
    Donna Stricklin Mazza

    ReplyDelete