Saturday, November 7, 2020

Carole Lehman

 


After graduating UMHS, I spent a summer working for my sister in Ocean City, NJ, and then headed to Adelphi University, four of the best years of my life - President of my class to President of the SA, recognized for my choreography, May Court, Homecoming Court and Lantern Honor and Service Honorary. I got an assistantship to start my masters at George Washington University, but did not like it so I transferred to UNC at Greensboro where I received an MFA in 1969. Started the Dance Department at Delta State University in Mississippi and then moved back to NC to marry John Lindsey. Started the City Arts Program for the Greensboro Parks and Recreation Department which became the largest public arts program through P&R in the country in the 80's. Just after our second anniversary, my husband John went to Ocracoke Island with a friend to celebrate getting his PhD in Psychology while I was opening the summer stock theater. He was pulled out in a riptide and I lost him, he was only 25. I liked my job so I stayed with it, developing the program which grew to 11 full time and over 100 part time employees. To celebrate the Bicentennial, I founded and directed the Razz-Ma-Tazz Musical Review Company which presented original musical revues developed by my music director and myself. We toured NC every year and in 1978 we started a major tour every year. Over its 25 year existence, we did 7 European tours, and we did tours of the Southeast, Northeast, West, Eastern and Western Canada, Alaska, Hawaii, Fiji, Australia and New Zealand. I met Chip, my husband, in 1985 when he auditioned to play bass for our revue. In addition to being a talented musician (guitar, bass, sax and others), Chip spent his working years as an engineer, We married in 1987, and 10 months later at the age of 41 I had my first child, Dianna. Gregory came along 2 1/2 years later when I was 44. In 1968 I was diagnosed with state 3 lung cancer. I am blessed that I made it through that and have been cancer free for 22 years now. I retired from the city in 2002 and went to UNCG to become the program administrator for the Women's and Gender Studies Program. I was there for the next 10 years. Since retiring from UNCG, I have volunteered on boards (Relay for Life, Hospital Volunteer Program, Friends of Women's and Gender Studies, and the Greensboro Ballet. I also layout, edit and write articles for our neighborhood newsletter (4 times a year, 28 pages for print and web). I am a timer for swim meets at the Greensboro Aquatic Center, one of the premier swim complexes in the US. I volunteer for admitting at Wesley Long Hospital and I knot chemo caps for the cancer center and also warm hats for the Homeless Day Center (hundreds of hats since 2014). And finally, we travel, a lot, over 70 cruises in my lifetime, plus visits to our kids including Norway where my daughter is a PhD fellow at the University of Science and Technology in Trondheim. Her research is in bi-lingual acquisition. My son is moving back to NC. He is a luthier (Lynne's note here - so you don't have to look up luthier - it's a maker of stringed instruments). Life is never dull!!


Carole and Chip on a cruise


Carole, Chip, Dianna and Gregory

No comments:

Post a Comment