Saturday, November 7, 2020

Sam Paone

 


My dad was born November 27, 1898. Salvatore Paone was an Italian immigrant from Maida, Italy. He spoke little to no English. He was instrumental in my getting into the construction business, One very important thing he taught me was work ethic. Upon arrival in the US, he was a stonemason and one of 100 artisans who built the St. Charles Seminary in Villanova, PA. As time went on he found his way with help from local contractors to find work. I would go on the job as a youngster and watch him cut and lay stone. He then taught me to fill the joints of the stone with mortar and his quote "Be sure to never get cement on the face of the stone" spoken in Italian of course. At the age of 7 I learned to understand the hard work and hours he put in in a day At 10 years old, my dad speaking Italian told me that "When you grow up, you will have to buy a job." I asked him "Dad, where will I get the money?" His response was "That's what you have to think about." From that day on, I thought of every way I could make money. I would find two cent bottle returns, cut lawns, got a paper route, worked at Willow Grove Park, and found jobs in the towns' stores (A&P, Dial Shoe Store), and eventually at 15 got working papers and a job as a carpenter apprentice. The family never had much as my dad's business was not much in demand. He just about made ends meet, but we always had food on the table. He made gardens of vegetables every spring and raised chickens, and of course I had to get the eggs in the morning from the angry chickens. It was common to jar peaches and tomatoes and more, and not to leave out raise grapes and make wine. A beautiful little man with a big proud smile, he always spoke positive and proud. He gave me his smile, his work ethic, and determination to succeed. I can tell you so many stories that were lessons that I will never forget. A warm. loving true gentleman. He was number one in my life for the learning and loving process.

Next, the most important and memorable time in my life was as a senior in high school.  October 2, 1962, morning, I prepared to go to school when on the kitchen table was a pile of bills that my dad had put out for me to see. He said "Junio, where is your savings book?" Savings I put away from all the little jobs starting when I was 10 years old.  My little treasure.  My dad said "You have to pay these bills or we will lose everything." So I said "I will pay them when I get home from school." He said "Junio, you're done with school. I need your help." He had been sick for 2 years and too weak to work.  So at 17 years old, as a student of Upper Moreland High School, that was the start of my life as an adult. A quote from dad "Son, there are just so many engines and many box cars. You have to be an engine." remained in my mind all my life. Thankful for the privilege to have been poor.  Everyday a new challenge. Peaceful and calm and close to God. I ended up taking care of my parents for the rest of their lives.

I went to work for a local home builder for whom my older brother worked. My brother Frank taught me all the tricks of the trade as a carpenter and was the second most important person in my adult life. He taught me the importance of quality, production and timing of the construction business. I continued working for the company and with my brother until I met the man who changed my life. His experience in the carpentry business was so valuable to me for the success of my future.

The next person was my very special friend, employer and mentor, Dominic La'Rosa, born November 10, 1932 and also was another Upper Moreland school student, As I, he started his business at age 19. He started as a carpenter as a young man. He went on to become a very successful home builder of many homes. Proud to say, we were known as the Willow Grove boys who done good. He also had parents who were immigrants. His father a shoemaker and a family who understood how to live a life to not have had. Again, Dominic worked to keep his family's food on the table. Everything that happened between us was so similar. I started working for him at age 18. After 8 months as his employee, he asked if I would be interested in going into my own carpentry business. I started working as a carpenter contractor and framing his houses. He handed me the American Dream. We became working, golfing, traveling and brothers forever. He knew the background of my life and helped me along the way Dominic La'Rosa was a much loved individual by many. He will always be my mentor and friend.

As I continued working as a carpenter contractor, yet another wonderful man came into my life. I was driving a 1953 Chevy with the back seat torn out. It served as my truck. So I went to the bank and met Perch Hankin who owned the Bank of Old York Road in Willow Grove. I asked him if I could borrow money to buy a pick up truck. He asked me one simple question - "Are you going to pay me back?" I said of course and told him what I was doing in my business. I explained my direction to buy land and build houses. It didn't take long before I went to him to borrow for land purchase and to build the first house of my career. From that point on, he loaned me millions on a hand shake. Once again, without the good people like Mr. Hankin I would not have achieved my dream to become a home builder and developer of home sites. Building roads for home subdivisions. Continuing meeting special people like Bob White who also helped with my banking experience. He spent the next 40 years working with me and always with the support of his bank contributed to my dream.

At the very beginning, my first house sale occurred when I found a little house that needed repair. I purchased the property for $8600. During my weekends and nights, I made a little dream house out of a house that was in deplorable condition. When finished I put the house on the market and sold it within one year for $13,500. I made a profit enough to purchase a vacant lot and built a house, A career beginning, sold my first new house. Went on to buy two lots, built and sold those. The excitement of building homes for families was my ultimate reason to wake up in the morning. All with the help of Mr. Perch and Mr. White, and the process didn't stop to the point of building thousands in my career. An American Dream coming from a privilege to not have had. Many hours of hard work, great people, following my gut instinct. I listened to a quote in my head that I once heard, "Treat people as you would want your mother to be treated." It fed to my success. Another quote I always pass on to everyone, "On time is late, early is on time, and late is unacceptable."

Here I am in the year of 2020 and reading back about my dad telling at 10 years old his quote "When you grow up you have to buy a job." All my little jobs, I put money in my little blue book from Old York Road Bank. That day I came down to my dad with the bills unpaid. I left school, as I said earlier. I paid and took care of my parents for the rest of their lives. February of 2019 a wonderful thing happened. I received a call from Bud DeLaurentis who had been an assistant principal but later became principal of Upper Moreland High School. He starts the call with "Your name keeps coming up with the Alumni at school. They feel as you have become successful as a builder/developer, they would like to put you on the Hall of Fame at the high school." I became emotional as he spoke. I told him I felt honored, however I did not graduate. He said that the superintendent of schools was going to have me graduate in June with the Class of 2019. I could not believe this was happening, It did happen and in October I was honored with the Hall of Fame presentation. It was one of the most exciting years of my life. Once again, Mr. DeLaurentis, another wonderful person who remembered me.

A very interesting part of my life. While working and taking care of my mom and dad, my brother Leonard said to me "Hey brother, you should join the Navy Reserves. If you want to be home to take care of Mom, you better join. We are in a war and if they draft you, they will send you into the Army." Sure enough, I did what he said. I joined and I was able to work and only do bi-monthly meetings. I started with basic training for 6 weeks in the Great Lakes. Unit meetings, went to the meetings and did maneuvers for 2 summers on different vessels for a couple of weeks. I was in for 4 years and fortunately was not called for active duty. I was able to continue my work and build my carpentry business. Then the shocker came in the mail. It was a heated time in Vietnam and I was being told I was getting drafted into the Army. I told them when I reported that I had already done my service time with the Navy Reserves. The asked me for my 214 discharge papers. I told them I hadn't received the document yet. They said to get a copy quickly as were being shipped to basic training in Fort Jackson, South Carolina, in 2 weeks. I made my request by mail and phone but did not receive my honorable discharge paper. Could not believe, 2 weeks later I was in the Army and did report for basic training. Well, my family and I could not believe what was happening. I made an appointment through my company captain to explain to my commanding officer my situation. He said he would look into it and let me know. Well, 2 months later, we all get new orders to report to our next destination which ended up in Fort Lee, Virginia. Fortunately we were in ranks and the company commander Captain Kinne asked the entire company if anyone knew how to type. He said he needed a company clerk to work in the CO's office. That's when I knew God was looking out for me, and yes, I became the company clerk. Typed all of the CO's letters and I did explain my situation being in the Navy Reserves. He understood and was very sensitive to my situation. I, of course, kept trying to make contact to get my discharge papers. Another 2 months goes by and another set of orders comes through. We were being shipped to Oakland, California, and then to Vietnam. We were a petroleum support company, so we would be stationed outside of the war zones. At this point inn my life, I had to accept there were no Navy discharge papers coming through. We all went home for our 16 day leave with our families and then report back for our departure. Once again our Lord stepped in as I got a phone call from Master Sargent Fuller on the 9th day of the 16 day leave. He said to me "What the "F" are you doing in the Army? I have your Navy discharge papers in my hand. Get your butt down here and go home." It was a difficult time after making so many friends to leave them at this crucial time. I stayed in touch and the entire company did all return back home. I was so thankful they were all safe. Many many prayers from my family sure did work.

My first development of 32 hours in 1968 was an experience. I met a neighbor a mile down the street on Davisville Road in Warminster. Bob Toll of Toll Brothers was also building his first housing construction project as well. A national home builder today, I had a wonderful chance to meet a fine gentleman. We over the years have always kept in touch with each other. There were times when Bob has bought land from me. This one particular time I owned a 4 acre parcel in the middle of a large farm that I thought I was going to buy. Bob wanted to buy this farm. Bob called me and said, "Sally, how much do you want for that little piece that's keeping me from buying this farm?" I had bought the small parcel from a resident years before who lived in the middle of that farm. Bob said "I know that your little piece is a key parcel to the entire job, so please tell me how much you want for your parcel." I told Bob I was going to think about its value. So I came up with a thought that would make my family happy. I told Bob that I would want a beach front house in Avalon in exchange for the 4 acres in Upper Dublin. He said "Go find it and let me know." Sure enough, he kept his word and we were blessed with a beautiful home on the beach in Avalon. 

The dream doesn't stop. So lucky to be married and with my bride Mary Catherine for 35 years with happiness and love every step of the way. The excitement of going home to my friend and lover is so wonderful to have every day. Having had 4 children - Maria, Lisa, Sal John and Crystal - and all of them loving Catherine and she loving them is a blessing. Sam and Dominic born to Catherine and me added to the most wonderful family I could ever have. The friendship beside being family with all my children makes my world even more full of love. All my children have a strong work ethic and a passion for family. My #1, Maria worked for 15 years for NBC and now is marketing for the Al Roker Companies. Maria has 2 boys, Sean and Chase, and is a great mom and is life partnered with Patrick Schneider. My #2 Lisa, a nutritionist working with hospitals in the Philadelphia area. Once again a great mom, Lisa has 3 children, Robbie, TJ, and Addison. Lisa is married to Robert Foster, a wonderful father and a great husband. My #3, Sal John kind of went through the Paone work training in the construction business. Sal has 3 children, Sienna, Sebastian, and Alexander. Sal, who now runs our company, Sal Paone Builders, is married to Erin O'Hearn, successful TV commentator for ABC network and a wonderful mother. My #4 Crystal works for Scripps in Jupiter, Florida, is married to Jon Coatoam and they have 3 beautiful girls, Sophie, Isabel, and Elise. Our #5 Sam, our PR guy and realtor working for the company and married to Alexandria Ruh. My #6 Dominic, also working for the company is running our construction site and dating a lovely lady, Kelly Siewers

I pass this on to many people as a direction of my life. Try to live life as there are four seasons. Spring is when I spent my first 16 years as a child with my parents. Although most children live with their parents and under their guidance to 18 years of age and more, at least through high school, my time was cut short by 2 years because of my dad's health and the need of support. The second season is or was supposed to be Summer, to live free and find my way through life. But all I wanted to do was take care of my family and get married and raise kids. Obviously too soon. I wasn't smart enough to use my time for myself so I could learn more about life. I put Fall in place of Summer, having kids too soon, to really understand the experience of my own individual time. I chose the life of marriage too early. I didn't learn enough about, is to enjoy and love everyone and be loved.

Each day, I always start a day with what can I accomplish. Enjoy seeing, working, playing with people. Wanting to make people love me and work to prove the impossible. Teaching others and learning more of what I love. Giving and helping others to have a better life. Future wants - to feel content with myself and to see myself accomplished and continue to excel, to leave behind a successful legacy, to stay healthy and to die a peaceful and quick death, to give all my knowledge and determination to my children. I need nothing but good health, good meals and good memories. Most of all I want my children to love and respect each other, to grow and encourage friendship with one another. Smile and enjoy people and life. To learn what makes them happy is to make other people happy.




Sam and Mr. DeLaurentis at UM graduation 2019


Wedding of #6 Sammy and Alexandria

No comments:

Post a Comment