Saturday, November 7, 2020

Charles Guenzel

Peggy (UMHS '64) and I celebrated our 50th wedding anniversary in December 2018 at the Washington Crossing Inn with our children and grandchildren. My how time flies, especially when life is filled with good times!

I celebrated the 50th anniversary of my Alive Day last September, and am grateful for the love and care of family and friends. Peggy has been my unrelenting care-giver all these years. Also the VA Prosthetic Department has been very responsive to my physical and medical needs.

Our daughters Jennifer and Melissa have given us three terrific grandchildren. Becca, now a senior at Elon University (NC); Andrew, a freshman at Duquesne University; and Ben, a very energetic high school sophomore - all three active in Music and the Arts.

Peg and I are still enjoying our vacation home in Williamsburg, VA. I retired in 2006 after 32 terrific years with NJJDOT in Highway Design. Peg also retired as church organist and handbell choir director.

We often think back to the days at good old UMHS...with a smile of course! 

Be well and stay safe!

NOTE FROM ME:  I was not familiar with Alive Day, so I asked Charlie exactly what it meant.  I got the following from him:

Regarding the "Alive Day" reference...it is the anniversary date of when a veteran almost lost his/her life in combat. I think it's only within the last 10 or 15 years that it has been referred to as a day of special individual remembrance.

My recollection of the land mind "experience" will always include the speedy response of the Medical Team who happened to be behind us in the convoy, and the call for a Med-evac chopper which arrived within five minutes. It flew me to Danang Naval Hospital, only 7 miles away. From then on it was an uphill battle, but all turned out well in the end. Of course, I wouldn't be alive today if it wasn't for the amazing actions of my fellow veterans! And I owe so much to my lovely an very patient wife Peggy!

ME AGAIN. Charlie, I am sure I can speak for the entire class in thanking you for your service to our country and your great sacrifice. As, I am sure, we thank all of our veterans.

No comments:

Post a Comment